Thursday, November 6, 2008

Why I'm Conservative!

First of all, I'd like to welcome you to my newest blog where I'll write about my political viewpoints. I think that more often than not, people don't base their political viewpoints on principles but rather their life experiences and their needs. This isn't to say that there's anything necessarily wrong with that although people confuse needs with wants and life experiences may have been lived incorrectly. I also think that leads people not not really understand why they're voting for or believe in.

A good case in point would be Whoopie Goldberg. I don't think that she's a bad person. In fact, I think that her story is quite admirable. She was a single, teen mother who used welfare to make ends meet (just like my parents did when they had me at 17). Obviously, she was too motivated and driven because look where she is now. She's votes Democrat because she knows that Democrats are far more supportive of welfare than Republicans are. She likes welfare because it helped her. That's her life experience.

Unfortunately, she's, like my parents, are a bit of an anomally in the welfare recipents world. Some people are ambitious, intense, driven, or PRINCIPLED and won't settle for being average, ordinary, or just getting by. Many (most?) will only do what they need to do to get by. The fact is that there are a lot of welfare abusers who could work (or work smarter, as I've learned) but don't have to because they don't NEED to. Having such a safety net sucks whatever ambition out of them.

That is my belief, even though I spent the first year of my life being fed by the federal government. My belief's shape my political opinion. Why I lean towards being conservative is because I think that the problems that many people face are of their own making. If there is a common theme among liberalism, it's that your problems aren't of your hand. You've somehow been screwed by a force more powerful than yourself. You can't do anything about it because you're not powerful enough to do anything. Therefore, you need a powerful force fighting for you, usually the government.

Let me point out one thing: I may be conservative but that doesn't mean that I'm a republican. I tend to vote republican but increasingly, I think that they're becoming more like '60 era Texas Democrats: accepting of big government as long as it's "good" big government. They charry-pick on conservative issues. At the end of the day, they're too similar to some Democrats. That's not me. Personally, the Republican vs. Democrat arugements are getting old for me.

I hijacked Al Gore's title for a good reason: I'm going to write the things here that I think need to be said, not what people want to hear. there's way too much of that going on in politics these days and I'm sick of it. I think that it also hurts America and the World.

Welcome!

2 comments:

;lkj said...

Was checking out the site for bw exercises and saw the political section. Thought maybe being from vermont you would be a Lib but good to see there still are conservatives in that state. I enjoyed your post, right on the money. I'll check back in, thanks, rikrock.

ArchitectGuy said...

Great comments. I'm there with you. Weight trainer and Conservative here too. I had the same feeling the day after the 08 election--elation everywhere but couldn't figure out why change in and of itself was "good". I was hoping for the best, but see this administration as all style, no substance. I only hope his ridiculous and naive spending strategies do not permanently cripple our economic system.